January 5, 2010

Christmas Eve


Due to our no whine policy, Rex started keeping track of any slip-ups on Christmas Eve.  Whenever anyone would start saying something negative or nasty he would be right there with his little black book.  It was magical.  No one finished a whine they began.  After a whole day of keeping score of whine beginnings, we asked Rex how we scored.  It turns out that Andrew was the least nasty.  The most nasty?  Well....that was me.

Besides taking down info on nasty moments, we spent Christmas Eve doing something else super fun.  Early in the day I had gathered the kids and said, "Look around you.  Can you see the messes everywhere?  Do you want to wake up on Christmas to this?"  Being the intelligent kids that they are, they realized that wanting to have a clean house would mean having to clean it.  So they were very careful to show no interest in cleanliness.  And we let the mess stay.  I figured it was their Christmas Eve holiday and maybe I could just spruce up a bit that night. 

But that evening after our family Christmas party, I got to thinking...I had been busy ALL day getting last minute Christmas chores done, while the kids had languished on couches with boredom just waiting for their presents to be delivered to them.  I realized they had a lot more energy left in them than I did, and I was the one with a full evening ahead of preparing Christmas. 

I informed the children that Santa just could not come to a messy house.  This gave them the encouragement they needed.  They de-cluttered, scrubbed, vacuumed, swept, and mopped.

And when they went to bed Santa did come (being ever so careful not to leave sooty tracks on the newly mopped floor).

9 comments:

  1. so you were the most nasty, eh? LOL love it. that is funny that he kept track in a book! hahahaha. nice job putting the kids to work. i can't wait till jase can MOP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, let me get this straight - so the kids all perfected the no whining thing and they still had to scrub the house from top to bottom on Christmas Eve? What was your punishment for being the whiniest? Perfect kids and a sparkling clean house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. You got way more milage out of Santa than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas shorts are a nice touch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and the 4th of July T-shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jenny, i am so glad you said that about possibly watching jase--b/c you are one of the few people that i'd trust with him! :) (true true). i am planning on calling you one of these days to try and work out some sort of sweet arrangement :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the motivation that Christmas presents present. (Don't you just love the English language?) And I love that you don't put up with whining and laziness. Will you please come over to my house and make me less whiny and lazy?

    ReplyDelete