October 25, 2008

2 Musicals and 1 Tricksy Green Coat

We were walking through the streets of Jackson Hole when one of the kids saw a sign about a re-showing of Oklahoma and Singin' in the Rain. I started on a rampage about musicals:
"I hate Oklahoma! I love Singin' in the Rain. It's really cute, but..."
My husband suddenly stopped at a store window, so I stood right by him and kept talking.
"...but Oklahoma is just not that great. I mean it gets downright creepy in parts and the ballet scene is like two lifetimes long, and..."
Rex turned to look at me (mid rampage) and I saw that he wasn't Rex. In fact, he was someone else altogether. (What was he doing with the same green coat, brown hair, and build as Rex?) I mumbled apologies as we hurried in our separate directions.
I'm sure he wondered why this lady was so insistent upon explaining her views to him about musicals. While I, on the other hand, would like to know why someone would walk around posing as my husband!

6 comments:

  1. I find it a common practice to substitute items in place of myself when Jenny gets on the soapbox. Heck, almost anything works, I even used a block of cheese once. Wait, did I just say that I could be mistaken for a block of cheese?

    Of course you know I'm kidding. Right, Honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tell strangers about the pros and cons of different musicals. Strangers love that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo - I hope mom doesn't read this post. She's gonna be so mad that you don't like Oklahoma. "I'm just a girl who cayn't say no..."

    No, but it's funny that this happened to you because it JUST happened to me. I was in a museum in Nashville and thought Joey and I were the only one's in there and I was watching this video of Patsy Cline and heard footsteps behind me so without turning I said "Look at this Joey. I CAN'T believe how UGLY Patsy Cline was. Is this some sort of joke? She looks like a man dressed up like a woman" And then turned and saw it was not Joey at all but an nice older gentlemen - who probably LOVED Patsy Cline. I hung my head in shame and left to go find Joey. I should never say such things anyway. I'm a jerk. Sorry patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure that the old man wasn't Patsy? What's up with a name like Patsy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I laughed out loud at these comments. I love witty readers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the excellent laugh. I am still laughing out loud. I can so envision this and that dance scene. Oh my gosh, so hilarious! It is Rex's fault for being the silent listener...so naturally it could be a perfect stranger standing there, not listening and it would be the same. Sorry Rex, but at least I'm not calling you a block of cheese.

    ReplyDelete