July 25, 2015

Me and My Green Thumb





This year was gonna be the year that I finally planted a beautiful flower garden in front of my house.  Only everything went wrong.

I spent over an hour in the hot sun at the nursery, trying to decide what to buy.  I finally picked out the flowers I wanted and they coordinated with each other and with our house and most of them were perennials.  So far so good.

I brought them home and Eliza took charge.  She pointed to each one of us and assigned us a job: "You carry the flowers to the garden.  You dig the holes.  You put the flowers in the holes.  And you water the flowers.  Okay, ready?  Let's get started!"  When no one moved she said, "Is anyone even listening to me?!"

Without following her exact orders we did finally get moving.  We were working by lamplight because we had been busy all day while the sun was out and this was our chance.

We finally agreed on where to plant things and we spent the next hour getting them there--with only a few squabbles and meltdowns among the kids.  After everything was planted,  I looked at one of the tags to see what it was called again and I noticed that it was a full sun plant.  Uh, whoops.

Then I looked at another plant's info and discovered that we were at the end of its blooming period.  Nice.

Over the next few days the blooms dried and died on everything but the marigolds.  Then today Eliza came in with some flowers.  She had picked some marigolds for me.  What a gem.

Now our amazing flower garden is a sad, sad sight.  But it pretty much rocks as a decoration for Halloween.  Bring on October!

2 comments:

  1. Hee heeeee! Oh man, gardening is such a mystery to me, so I love to see others fail at it as well. Is that evil? Yay for a belligerent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee heeeee! Oh man, gardening is such a mystery to me, so I love to see others fail at it as well. Is that evil? Yay for a belligerent post!

    ReplyDelete