September 10, 2011

MacGyver


Remember this show?   I grew up on this and my kids had it playing on Netflix the other day.  I watched an episode with them and laughed the whole way through.  They kept telling me it wasn't a comedy, but I disagreed.  My favorite parts were the following:
  •  The opening scene is of a horse chase which ends with MacGyver and the horse being lifted up by a rope dangling from a helicopter.  MacGyver just hooked the rope under the saddle and off he went, the horse's hooves flailing through the air.
  • A young girl's lines are all dubbed over by a grown woman talking in a high squeaky voice.
  • The whole script!  At one point MacGyver's voice-over narration says, "They say life is like a bowl of cherries, but I disagree.  I say it's more like a bowl of Hungarian goulash, hot and sticky, and I'm not all that hungry."  What does this even mean?   
  • A car chase that goes through buildings, water tunnels, rivers, and of course jumps between distant rooftops.

8 comments:

  1. I love that Hungarian Goulash line. That's going to have to be my next go-to quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all good and well that you're talking about MacGyver...but didn't you have a baby? Are you going to have a baby soon? Where's the baby stuff? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to see another post. I also used to watch Macgyver and what I remember is him doing all sorts of impossible things to get out of a bind. I think I would have had a good laugh too. We should watch it together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what it means is...life is hot and sticky and he doesn't really want to go through it, yet he will fashion a spoon out of old tv wires, horse teeth, and the rivets from his dungarees and give that bowl of hungarian goulash what for.
    hahahahaha! more blogs please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha - i like kate's comment! it sounds like you need to be a writer for SNL jens. they too make fun of Macgyver with their "MacGruber". Funny stuff. But I do remember loving it when I was little. Grown-ups just say weird stuff I didn't understand all the time, so the script seemed normal to me. bowl of cherries/hungarian goulash potaeto/potato ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha,ha - love Macgyver. I think I will watch an episode today. thanks for the tip. I can always use a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought Casey season 1 of Macguyver for our anniversary one year. It isn't true what they say; you can go back--you'll just wish you hadn't.
    The same disillusionment happened when we tried to watch Happy Days with our kids. Does anyone remember how inappropriate that show is? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete