January 3, 2011

The Pedicure

Now that I've made it past my first trimester of pregnancy and can venture out of the house without a throw-up bowl, I accepted my mom's invitation to go grocery shopping and then out for a pedicure.

After shopping, I followed my mom into C.T. Nails for my first pedicure outside of a beauty school.  The moment I stepped through the door I was overpowered by the toxic fumes.  I was pretty sure my baby had just gotten a good dose of brain damage, so I stuck my head out the door to get a few breaths of clean air and then pulled my shirt over my nose when I walked back in.

We were seated on massaging chairs which kept us occupied and distracted from the fact that our feet were getting attacked by sharp objects.  The other distraction in the room was a football game and sports commentary--the perfect thing for a bunch of prissy, pampered women customers.

As my mom and I sat there getting our feet done, the guy working on her feet kept talking conspiritorially to the girl working on mine.  The whole time I was afraid he was analyzing the socially unacceptable length of my leg hair.  Oh how they must love the American inability to understand Vietnamese.

At one point he looked at me hiding under my shirt and then asked my mom, "What wrong wit her?"  My mom explained how I was pregnant and how I have super powers of smell.  He went over and got me a pink mask to wear.  I looked awesome.

I wasn't paying much attention to what the girl was painting on my feet, when my mom said, "Jenny, I think you're getting some sort of flower on your toes."  Sure enough, I somehow gave the impression that I was the kind of girl who would appreciate a large flower on each big toe, set off with a sticky gemstone in the middle.  Lucky me. 

All in all it was a wonderful experience to initiate my new term of pregnancy.

7 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh! And just so you know, I actually prefer to have the flowers. At first I thought they were stupid but now I'm a believer. You'll never go back. Also, ask my mom about sparkles. She loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee! it's nice when you get that baby out and can stop feeling guilty about everything you smell, eat and drink and what it's doing to your fetus and can start feeling guilty about everything you smell, eat, and drink and what's it's doing to your newborn. so happy you're having a baby, can't wait until he/she starts doing funny stuff so you can write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more expensive to get one at Sego Lily Day Spa, but for ALL of the above mentioned reasons--it is WORTH IT. And I'm a pedicure expert :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a monumental day. 1st pedicure AND new trimester. And you've got flowered bejazzled big toes to show for it. How fun for you. Happy 2nd trimester! May you be throw-up-less the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a love hate with the pedi thing.... I've only had it done twice.
    You have to watch this!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o&feature=channel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on baby-on-the-way! That is way exciting! My mom who is in Africa is actually the one that told me you were expecting...news travels around the world fast! Did my mom tell your mom that i'm expecting too and due in June? Fun times ahead...can't wait til our little ones can play together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pedicures are my one true love and I ALWAYS go for the rhinestone-studded flowers! Actually, lately I'm into glitter toes. You'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete