January 23, 2012

The End of the World


Me: Andrew, we need to have a talk.

Andrew: Okay.  What's up?

Me: So remember how you couldn't find the tail fin of your wooden fish craft today and you thought it was the end of the world?

Andrew: Yeah, I guess.

Me:  And then remember how we found it just a few seconds later and it turned out that it wasn't the end of the world?

Andrew: Yeah

Me: Okay.  Then remember how your wooden fish fell over and some of its scales fell off and you thought it was the end of the world again, but Megan put the scales right back on and you saw that it wasn't the end of the world?

Andrew: Yeah.

Me: So my goal for you in 2012 is that when something happens which seems like the end of the world, that you will realize that it's not.  And you will take 10 slow breaths while telling yourself to relax.  Then I want you to calmly think through a solution to the problem or come to me calmly for help in solving the problem.  Okay?

Megan: Hey, that's a good goal for 2012 because this year really is supposed to be the end of the world!

Me: Right.  Thanks for that.

Andrew:  Hey, Mom?  What if I happen to be looking through a telescope and I see a huge rock racing toward the earth.  Then can I act like it's the end of the world?

Me: Okay sure.  At that point you may act like it's the end of the world.

Happy 2012 Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm glad that is clarified beforehand because he'd be in a real pickle if that happened. I love your conversations with your kids Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! FUnny. I just barely saw you at the Library and was hissing to you across the room. Apparently, you did not hear me bc you turned and walked away. Or you DID hear me and you wanted to run as fast as possible! LOL. Hope you're doing OK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see another post. I need to have a conversation like this with my own kids. We definitely have "end of the world" reactions on a daily basis. How funny that Megan points out that this year really will be the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he he!!! Andrew's a funny kid!

    ReplyDelete