February 10, 2009

Bug Kisses


I always thought Costa Rica seemed like such an intriguing place.
I've been reading about it lately, and discovered it's a bit more intriguing than I thought--in the creepy crawly department. Here's what I read today:

During the day, the bugs hide in crevices in the walls and roofs. During the night, when the inhabitants are sleeping, the bugs emerge. Because they tend to feed on people’s faces, triatomine bugs are also known as “kissing bugs.” After they bite and ingest blood, they defecate on the person. The person then becomes infected through the bite.

Okay, I was mostly disturbed by the line they tend to feed on people's faces. I don't really feel like 'feeding on faces' can be categorized as a mere "tendency". I can picture this information being narrated by someone with a British accent, calmly talking about bloody face-eating on the Discovery Channel. And the word "defecate"? That's a disturbing word in any context, but here we have a visual of a bug squatting over a freshly-dug, bloody latrine. In someone's face!

Bug smooch, anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, bugs in panama were friendly, too! I am SOOO GLAD you found me! I am SOOO Glad I have a way to keep up with you now!!! James will be 3 in April...

    Did Crystal email you? I found her on Facebook and she asked for your addy.

    Oh Happy DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. disgusting! So, I'm trying to imagine where you are reading this information... and can't fathom where you come across stuff like this! So the Andrew thing is becoming clearer!

    ReplyDelete